Friday, May 18, 2007

SOS update

It's been exactly one week since I began the SOS feeding program, and I figured it was time for an update. Two days ago, I figured the update would read something like this (based on this photo from that day): Jacob is absolutely horrified by new foods, we're never going to get beyond this desensitization phase, I may as well just buy stock in Froot Loops and McDonalds as that's all he's going to eat for the rest of his life. I mean, just LOOK at that body posture. Three times that morning, he tried sneaking away from the table with his beloved Froot Loops to get away from all that "nasty" food sitting near him. (Apple slices, strawberries, and raisin bread -- highly offensive foods all -- NOT!)

But we've come a long way in just a couple of days. Look at what happened at breakfast this morning! While discussing the fact that I thought both kids might like cinnamon bread (without implying they should actually TRY it), Zoo Boy voluntarily suggested that he could touch the cinnamon bread. I scrambled for my camera and captured this bold attempt.

Then, half jokingly, I suggested that Jacob could SNIFF the cinnamon bread. Well, darned if he didn't do it! Took me completely by surprise, so much so that I wasn't prepared to take a photo. However, he graciously agreed to repeat the performance for the camera.

So, go figure! Maybe this thing is doable after all! Ok ok, so touching and sniffing, it's not exactly TASTING, but just the fact that they are not screaming when I put the new food down is progress. In fact, Jacob was giggling with each new plate I produced, like the thought of all this novel food was actually funny. We'll get there, one micro-step at a time.

8 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!!!

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger VAB said...

If you haven't already heard it, you might enjoy this TMBG song, which comes from one of their kids albums.


John Lee Supertaster
Nothing tastes the same to a Supertaster!
When he tastes a pear it's like a hundred pears!
He's got superpowers!
He is a Supertaster!
Every flavor explodes! Explodes and explodes!
John Lee Supertaster tastes more than we do
Everything has a flavor some flavors are too much
Can't shut his mouth 'cause he's a Supertaster!
Though he looks like a man he is a Supertaster!
Can't drink coffee or beer 'cause he's a Supertaster!
John Lee Supertaster tastes more than we know
Everything has a flavor some flavors must go

I can't find a free copy of the song on line, but you can pick it up for a buck from their website: http://www.theymightbegiants.com/

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Harvest Moon Farm said...

Thanks, VAB, I have GOT to get a copy of that! Actually, we love TMBG, we'll have to just find the albumn and buy it. :-)

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger John Robison said...

You sound as if you're achieving good success. In comparison to your son, my food troubles are minimal. I like routine, so I eat the same things, but I don't have the sensory problem with food at all.

I used to love my etch-a-sketch.

And I liked digging in the sand

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You guys sound like everything is going wonderfully!
I am in New Zealand and are almost at the end of my RDI consultant training. I've been reading posts from you for the past 18 months (when I first got involved) on the parent support site. I have a client who needs the SOS approach but it is unavailable here in NZ and I am finding it difficult to get information about starting. Can you point me in the right direction of SOS - maybe a book or someone who is able to help from over your way? My client is 8 years old, has Autism and we have been doing RDI for 6 months.
Thank your for you time with this and all your suggestions that I have used from the support site has been very helpful!

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

sorry, my email is: rdisarah@gmail.com

Thanks!

 
At 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harvest Mom, I sure hope we continue to get SOS updates at least weekly !! For some reason I find it very fascinating and am keen to hear how it's going! Bev

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is wonderful!!! i LOVE those pics!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home