Thursday, April 05, 2007

shout it from the rooftops!!!!!!!


It happened! It finally happened!

In news that Jacob is sure to later yell at me for announcing publicly, I want to share with the entire world that, for the first time today, and from this day ever more (or so he claims at least, and his word is good enough for me):

JACOB POOPED IN THE TOILET!!!!

Can you hear the noise-makers going off, the confetti showering from the sky, the doves being released, the cork popping on the champagne bottles?!?!?!? This is news of GARGANTUAN proportions!!!

Why now? Why at 6 years, 5 months and 6 days?

Because, as his RDI consultant and I determined yesterday, by a measure of RDI stages he's mastered, he's developmentally at about 3 years of age (probably a little further along). And, as I've been suspecting and will continue to believe unless given proof otherwise, he's now on a normal developmental path. And..... and THAT'S WHEN KIDS POTTY TRAIN. It's just the natural progression of things.

No bribes, no begging, no coersion. A little bit of discussion about it. Especially two days ago, when, well, to put it delicately, there was poop in more places than just his pants, the bathroom not being one of those places. That's when we had the "pullups aren't made to contain that amount of poop" discussion. And I suggested that perhaps it might be time to start putting that poop where it belongs -- the toilet -- like the vast majority of big boys like him do. He nodded his head somberly at the time, apparently giving it a bit of consideration. Later that morning, he refused to watch a once-beloved Baby Einstein video that Zoo Boy wanted to see, claiming that it was "for babies and toddlers, I'm a big boy, I'll go read in my room instead". And so he did. So he's definitely been mulling over his growing up.

No bribes, but I did break out a set of legos I'd been saving -- his first "real" legos (we've got a massive set of duplos that the kids have fun building with). As you can see above, he's pretty thrilled to have yet another building medium to practice those great visual problem-solving and spatial orientation skills everyone was raving about at the IEP meeting.

It's a red-letter day in our house! And that letter is P for POOP!!!

5 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

Good Job Jacob!!!

I will be so happy when we're at that point. C will be 4 in June and has shown zero interest in using the potty. I'm not sure he even knows it exists.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Mom without a manual said...

Congratulations!

It was a long hard battle for us as well. Congrats to Jacob and Mom!

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger walking said...

That is so exciting! For us the trick was a gluten-free, casein-free diet! But, regardless of how, it is exciting and so liberating! Congratulations!!!

 
At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has the mom of an yet-to-train 4 1/2 year old, your post gives me hope! WTG, Jacob!!! I hope my boy's potty days will be soon, too. :-)

 
At 4:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exciting news! We've been down that road and it is so great when it finally happens! Yeah for both of you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home